Thursday, January 7, 2010

Crafty Business Seminar Thoughts

Tonight, I went to a Crafty Business Seminar taught by the fantastically lovely Jennifer Perkins of The Naughty Secretary Club. I learned so much valuable information for my business, as well as some notes on perhaps what I could be doing wrong from time to time. (It happens to the best of us!) I really wanted to blog about something I've been thinking a lot about with SavannahRed that she touched on in the very beginning of our class. I think it's important for those who invest in my company to know the heart behind the woman who is whipping these things up.

Mrs. Perkins (who is completely fabulous, by the way) explained in the first few minutes that when you own a crafty business, you must really enjoy what you do. It seems so simple and easy, but this has been on my mind a lot lately as I'm putting in so much time researching, reapproaching, and reorganizing to make this lovechild of mine into something really great. I've gotten down to the Why of it all, and here's what I've come up with.

When I sat myself down and started thinking more about what/who SavannahRed is - the clothing part, at least - I got excited again like I was from the very beginning! Anytime I make myself see what this identity is, I get this feeling that I am meant to do something really great. I get to create something and offer it to the world in the form of a beautiful, lovecrafted, handmade dress that can make someone really happy. How can you go wrong there? Having the ability to create something is such a wonderful gift in this world, and often I take it for granted. Every now and then, I allow myself to get overwhelmed when I think about the process or the time or the little things I have to actually care about, and I think most people do that from time to time. But since there have been all of these changes in my life lately - weight loss, money issues, exercise, lifestyle (in general), relationships - I knew that I needed to change the way I handled SavannahRed, and bring back my passion for what I do that I absolutely love! I love the simple concept of being able to make something, so add to that the fact that I get to make dresses for gorgeous ladies who are a lot like me and very disappointed with most of the clothing options we have available to us. There is a powerful voice in my heart that tells me to never give this up and pour myself into it, even if it's slightly terrifying - but in a good way, of course! I am more than glad to have this drive to do what feels so right for me, and I am eager to see what is about to come my way. New, wonderful experiences are on their way to me. I can feel them. And don't worry, you'll read about it all right here! :)

Stay beautiful!

SavannahRed

No comments: